1) How does the school I attend affect my future?
The school you go to will not transform you into a successful designer, only you can make that happen. Do not be discouraged if you don’t get into a highly recognized school. A school can only provide you with the tools you need to succeed. Whether you succeed or not is entirely up to you and all depends on how you use those tools you’ve acquired.
2) Is it necessary for me to know how to sew before attending fashion design school?
Sewing is not difficult at all and can be self-taught quite easily. It is a good idea to get used to a sewing machine beforehand but it’s not absolutely necessary to know how to sew before entering a fashion design program as learning how to sew is typically a core component of the curriculum.
3) Is it necessary for me to know how to draw before attending fashion design school?
No, you do not need to know how to draw because in fashion school you will learn about formulas used to create croquis – body figures you draw clothes on. But knowing how to draw in general would help you understand better the anatomy or movement of an object or body.
Tip: get magazines and try to sketch a model’s body and pose.
4) Does the school location matter?
Location matters! If you want to be successful you need to be around people who are in the industry. Some hot spots for fashion in the US are California, Dallas, Miami and New York.
5) Will I get a job after I graduate?
Although attending fashion design school will not guarantee you a job after graduation, if you are serious about a career in fashion design, a solid education will definitely increase your chance of getting a job tremendously. In the end, a major factor is how hard you’re willing to work to get what you want.
6) What would help me get known as a designer?
Although this is covered in much more detail in class, here are a few general tips to help get you on your way:
- Meet as many people in the industry as you can
- Take part/Volunteer in as many fashion shows as you can
- Always present yourself in a professional manner
- Work hard
7) What is networking and how can it help me as a future designer?
Networking is basically meeting people. Gaining contacts in every field possible as you will never know what type of professional you will need in the future. It helps to have a business card and professional Facebook, Pinterest and other networking web pages – you never know what professional designer might be looking for in upcoming designers.
8) When will I know everything about fashion design?
Never- fashion is constantly changing you need to know about everything ahead of time, about six months ahead! You will always need to be doing research and learning new techniques to keep up with the times – especially in fashion!
Check out our other articles.